1. Choose your state legislator.
State legislators determine the amount of UA funding.
- Our own Hendrickson Building remodel is in the UA FY14 budget request! Imagine a wider and brighter hallway and classrooms. Windows in HB105, whoa!
- $23,000,000 is slated for research.
- ~39% of UA's proposed budget comes from legislator's appropriation. Tuition is ~15% of revenues.
They also determine funding for support of other natural resources and monitoring in DEC and DNR, frequent employers for ENVS/GEOG grads.
Legislators determine the amount of funding for renewable energy and weatherization ($200M in 2013) which reduces our carbon footprint.
State legislators determine K-12 and early childhood education funding.
2. Choose your president. The US President can take action on energy independence, reducing greenhouse gases such as increasing automobile efficiency, and directing the departments to develop more renewable resources and conservation.
- Determines NASA, NOAA, and National Science Foudation, National Park Service, and USFS budgets which affects scientific reasearch here in Alaska. STEM funding in Juneau comes in part from the Department of Defense!
- The US Senate can sign on to global climate treaties!
- Controls the purse strings for Federal Student Loans.
4. Most importantly, voting is your right!