Welcome back for those returning students and other followers of the ENVS/GEOG weblog.
The three job postings are for the Department of Environmental Conservation Intern III, a GIS Intern III with DEC, and a Physical Scientist Position in Denali National Park.
1. DEC Intern III
As the new school year gets started, the State’s Department of Environmental Conservation, Department of Air Quality wants to announce an excellent opportunity for an enterprising young student to get experience in the environmental field of study while continuing their school work at UAS. The College Intern III position supports the Air Permits Program by providing hands-on experience in the field of environmental compliance, permitting, emissions inventories and other challenging field-related topics. Please see the attached flyer, and if possible post it for your students to be aware of this challenging opportunity. Please share this unique opportunity with your outstanding students. The job offering should be on Workplace Alaska early next week.
Environmental Engineering Associate II
Juneau Office Supervisor, Compliance and TV Permitting
Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
 465-5561 ph
DEC Intern Recruitment Flyer 2011-08-19
Uploaded: Thu Aug 25 12:08:31 2011
 465-5129 fx
2. GIS College Intern III
The Contaminated Sites Program in the Division of Spill Prevention and Response is recruiting for a College Intern III in Juneau.
The primary objective of the internship will be to gain knowledge and experience in applying principles of geospatial analysis to evaluate and improve the quality of the mapping data generated by the Contaminated Sites Program (CSP).
This position will coordinate closely with the Geographic Information System (GIS) Administrator and will train in CSP applications. This position will work under supervision, complete job training, and be supported by academic work and/or past work experience with GIS to complete the primary roles and responsibilities of the position.
Under supervision and guidance, the primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- analyzing and improving the usability and usefulness of geospatial data from other sources (e.g., contractors, other DEC programs, and other Alaska agencies) that are used by CSP staff to evaluate, plan, report, and make sound environmental management decisions.
- manually validating the locations of contaminated sites by using the best available imagery and consulting with CSP Project Managers.
- publishing information to ArcGIS.com about the Contaminated Sites public map service.
- adding metadata to feature classes in the ArcSDE (Spatial Database Engine) geodatabase, determining which of the feature classes in the geodatabase can be updated, and removing unnecessary ones.
- searching the network for geospatial data (shape files and personal or file geodatabases) from the CSP, cleaning up data that is unneeded, and consolidating necessary data into a standard data structure.
- working with a variety of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
The position is posted on Workplace Alaska (http://notes3.state.ak.us/wa/mainentry.nsf/WebData/1hp1HomePage/?Open). Recruitment closes at 5pm on Wednesday, September 21, 2011.
Environmental Program Manager
ADEC Contaminated Sites Program
410 Willoughby Avenue, Suite 303
Juneau, Alaska 99811-1800
3. Physical Scientist position that is shared between DENA an the Central Alaska Network.